Neight Hill, Himbleton, Droitwich, Worcestershire, WR9 7LE
1873 - How it all began
“compulsory on the Parishoners to provide a building wherein the instruction of the young could be efficiently carried on”
Reverend H D Woodhouse acquired the land and with grants and donations work on a new school began in June 1873 and was completed shortly before Christmas. The building was originally intended to accommodate 83 children but was soon reduced to 68 as several children attended
“The school which consists of one room is a neat and unpretentious red brick building, with a roof of alternating red and blue Broseley tiles. The room is 30 ft by 17 ft, and is lofty and well ventilated. It is lighted by three windows, one large end window and two side windows. The principal entrance is through a lean-to porch and opposite is a small closet with the necessary fittings for the children’s hats etc. The furniture of the school room consists of forms and sets of patent reversible desks of stained deal.”
“The playground is a spacious yard; having a thick layer of burnt clay”.
Miss Soley was appointed as the first Headmistress and the school opened on the 27th April 1874, with 14 children.
"Only 3 of this number know their letters, few of them having never attended any school and consequently very ignorant & illbehaved."
A gallery of seats lined the walls and the room was heated by a coal and wood fire. It was not a free education and parents were expected to pay for their children to be educated. The terms of payment in 1874 were:
3d per week for one child
5d per week for two children
6d per week for three children
And one penny extra for every child in the family after the third
In order to progress and move up to the next standard children had to attend regularly ie a certain number of days and be successful when Her Majesty Inspectors examined their work each year.